Monday, January 14, 2008

South Africa!!!

Over 29 hours
2 hours of sleep
And half way across the world
…We finally made it to
SOUTH AFRICA!!!

I still can’t believe I’m really saying that. Our first South African home, at Heronbridge Retreat Centre in Jo’burg was surreal. So beautiful. I was not expecting to see a place like this here, but was so happy to be staying at it to adjust to the time change. I soon cam to the realization of where we were really located when I looked across the murky river waters to see men fishing, women carrying baskets on their heads and the sun setting over those familiar rolling hills I’ve seen in magazines.

The trees are different. The birds are foreign. Even the smell is unique, not to mention the remarkable heat we left the Canadian weather behind for. This journey has only just begun, but as time passes by, we are all proud to announce that YES, we are in AFRICA!

Written by: Ben Pavey

No comments: