Monday, January 14, 2008

First Time Flyer

Being a small town, northern Manitoba boy, flying has never been a major source of transportation for me. In fact, I had never flown before, so when I signed up for Outtatown the flight was something that I was really looking forward to. It was quite the rush indeed, but a little intimidating as well since my entire group kept looking back at me to watch my reactions and expressions.

Looking back at the three flights we took (Winnipeg to Toronto, Toronto to London, London to Jo’burg), I have to say that the first flight was a bit of a disappointment to me. I’m not entirely sure what I had been expecting, but with my new found love of roller coasters and the crazy plane rides that I’ve seen in the movies, I thought this flight was definitely lacking in the thrill department since it was so smooth. Luckily I had a window seat so the lack of thrills was made up for by the incredible views of both Winnipeg and Toronto glowing in the night.

The flight to London on the other was a bit more like the movies. We hit turbulence throughout our entire twenty minute descent and landing; the plane jerked up down, our seats fell out on us, and the landing was rough. Finally a flight worthy of the hype!

The rest of the way to South Africa was long. I was able to sleep on both the flight to London and the flight to Jo’burg, which I’m told is pretty rare for a first time flyer, so jet-lag hasn’t been too terrible for me, but just last night I woke up at 1:00am, after just two hours of sleep, wide awake, thinking that morning had come. That was a weird feeling.

But yeah, we’re all adjusting to the climate, sun and food. I think some people are glad to have three months before our next plane ride, but I’m up for another asap!

Written by: Stephen Foord

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Glad to know you've arrived well, healthy, and still with a sense of humor...great pictures of everyone!

Anonymous said...

hey chevy! sounds like you're having a great time! yay south africa!

your lil sis,
Rach