Friday, April 11, 2008

Reflections on Community

Outtatown has been a great opportunity for me to work on myself; to develop and grow into the woman that Christ wants me to be. The atmosphere is perfect for this because we have had such a strong community around us to help us along and to give us strength in times when we need it most. Not just with mentors or peer mentoring groups either; simply hiking, spending a long bus ride sitting beside, rooming with, working with, or reflecting with a fellow student creates perfect opportunities to share your thoughts, concerns and struggles, thus creating perfect opportunities to support each other. I have experienced this over and over, probably every day and didn’t even notice the significance until now.

Coming on Outtatown and to South Africa I expected to be moved, challenged and changed, but mostly as a result of the poverty that we were about to face. I was wrong. Sure, I was moved, challenged and changed to a certain degree by the poverty I have seen and it brought questions, many questions, but most of the growth I’ve seen in my life is a result of living in community.

Our community is a church. We are real with each other, holding one another accountable and influencing the growth in each other. Due to this special environment I have a stronger faith and trust in the Lord, I have more passion for the things of the Lord, I have experienced the character of God in people. I now understand what it is to be an example of Christ in the world and I finally realize the importance of a strong Christian community.

I am so sad to be leaving it now, but I thank God for this year, my Outtatown community and what I have experienced with them. I now know what it means to be a part of the Body of Christ and know what to look for as I try to create or find my Christian community in Canada.

Written by: Rachel Kamps

No comments: